Sunday, October 07, 2007

WaPost & Letras Libres on MVLL

About the only obsession more unhealthy than the one a I had for Robert Kaplan is my fixation on Mario Vargas Llosa. As it stands right now WaPost and Letras Libres are not helping. From his perch at WaPost Jonathen Yardley reviews MVLl's latest, The Bad Girl. He hits it right on:
Mario Vargas Llosa's perversely charming new novel isn't among his major books -- it lacks the depth of Conversation in the Cathedral, Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter or even the more recent and less successful The Feast of the Goat-- but it is irresistibly entertaining and, like all of its author's work, formidably smart.
That The Feast of the Goat was not more successful is downright criminal. Yardley correctly notes that the failure to award the Nobel Prize for Literature is "scandalous." I prefer to consider the exclusion criminal.

Letras Libres meanwhile has plastered MVLl on the cover and dedicated almost the entire issue to him...I'm going to lose my mind. They even have small contributions from Carlos Alberto Montaner and Enrique Krauze...the dork in me is thrilled beyond all measure.