Friday, January 05, 2007

Annoyed

This blog did not spring from the mind of Zeus (apologies for the obscure Greek reference) but was inspired by the failure of numerous other blogging attempts on my part and by other sites. One of the sites that inspired me was the Latin Americanist. They pretty much do the same that I do but lately they have gotten on my nerve. The last three posts have been from Prensa Latina, Cuba's gov't run news service. Not exactly an unbiased source.

True, I have my biases but I don't use any gov't media from any country as primary news source. There are dangers and pitfalls involved. For instance the first Prensa Latina story in the bunch is one in which it reports that the outgoing Nica prez, Bolanos, is being accused of being corrupt. Some context is required. Bolanos is hated by both Ortega and the man he succeeded ex-Prez Aleman. Of course they are going to go after him. I am not saying Bolanos is not corrupt it is just that the source of information is less than reliable and should be called out as such.