Monday, January 15, 2007

Those Racist Scumbags at VDARE

Actually I don't mean that but seeing as how an incendiary post got VDARE's attention I couldn't help myself. I am genuinely flattered that Peter Brimelow saw fit to respond to my post and send some traffic my way. Up until now I could only count on my family and three friends to read this crap. That being said I would like to clarify some misconceptions:
  • OK I did whine about Alien Nation but not that much. There is much in it that is worthwhile and I agree with over 75% of it. Not that anyone cares but I am a proud owner of a first edition autographed copy of Alien Nation.
  • Actually what blew my fuse was the fact that Jared Taylor was still being published in VDARE and not the actual piece.
  • For purposes of demographic pigeonholing I suppose that I am a free-market Hispanic. Being the disagreeable person that I am I have a problem as being labeled as such. Personally I loathe loaded concept of "Hispanic" - stick a Puerto Rican, Mexican and a Cuban in a room and the only thing they'll agree about is that they hate each other.
  • As for rallying to my supposed ethnicity nothing could be further from the truth. I am of Cuban descent but the reason I chose my nom de plume was to hat tip Cardinal Richelieu. He pursued his nation's best interests despite his supposed allegiance to his religion and the Vatican. I choose to support America's national interest despite the fact that I am of Cuban descent. Unfortunately I do not write enough to make that clear.
  • The reason I choose to focus on Latin America is my overwhelming concern that we do not pay enough attention to the issues that affect it. Not because I feel allegiance to the countries south of our border but because I sincerely believe that our negligence inspires movements that act contrary to our interests.
  • As for the free-market part I am guilty as charged. I'm a proud Adam Smith/Jeffersonian Liberal. In modern parlance a libertarian who swings right, or a libertarian without libertinism.
  • The "allied blog" was a failed collaborative effort and is defunct. Don't read too much into what I wrote there since I was writing for a group and not for myself.
Now that I got everyone's attention I must say that I enjoyed some of the comments from VDARE's defenders. Most of them were thoughtful and I appreciated that they took the time to write. There were the obligatory flamers who contributed nothing to the debate but I posted them too just for the hell of it.

As for VDARE I wish it luck, I will continue reading despite some disagreements, specifically about Taylor and increasingly about Roberts. I did rip Roberts in the comments page but I should mention that I linked, heavily excerpted and generally agreed with his his piece on Pinochet. I should note that I considered adding his book The Capitalist Revolution in Latin America in The Library section. Unfortunately due to no fault of his own it is somewhat dated. Written during the heady days of so called neo-liberalism it spoke of nations that seemed to ready to turn the corner to prosperity and freedom. Tragically LA reverted to the loony lefty populism that has plagued it for nearly a century.

I should mention that I still enjoy reading Alan Wall's posts even when disagreeing with them. It is no accident that the longest stretch of time that I went without VDARE was when he was shipped out to Iraq. I hope that Mr. Wall also got around to reading Mexico Mutilado by Francisco Martin Moreno yet another bestseller that exposes prevailing Mexican sentiment towards the colossus to the north.

As for Mr. Brimelow I confess to taking a cheap shot and perhaps should have chosen my words more carefully. I would never engage him in any sort of verbal confrontation because I don't stand a chance but I hope he sees that my post was written more in frustration than anything else. I agree with much of what he says, I agree with much of what he proposes but much like Buckley jettisoned some of the more unsavory elements of the right to further the conservative movement so should he to improve the prospects of immigration reform.

Now if you'll excuse me Jack Bauer is on.