Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Those Nasty Right-Wing Cubans

I read this piece in the WSJ the other day and meant to comment on it but Babalu pretty much covered it all. I will say this, I came out against the embargo quite publicly in a piece I wrote for a college paper here in Miami. It had started as a pro-embargo editorial but as I worked on it I found flaws in my thinking and I took a radically and unexpected turn. So I warned the parents and braced myself for the onslaught...the onslaught that never came. My fellow College Republicans chided me, my Bay of Pigs vet uncle bugged me and my childhood buddy's dad bombed me with literature but no one reproached me or threatened me. My mom, who worked at the school did not even get nasty comments from co-workers. Perhaps my conservative and anti-Castro activities shielded me from criticism but why didn't I get ripped by people who had no idea that I had once traveled to DC to lobby for continuing the embargo? Maybe we aren't so bad. Maybe we are more tolerant than we are made out to be.